National Chef of the Year - Entry Guidelines
Competitors should pay particular attention to:
- Skills – a strong focus for judges
- Taste & Flavour
- Seasonality – (as the semi-finals take place in the month of June)
- Sourcing & Provenance
- Menu Balance
- Adherence to criteria
- Mise en place allowed
- Timing – menu must be capable of being prepared, cooked and served within a 2 HOUR TIMEFRAME
Mise en Place
- Unless stated in the criteria, no preparation is permitted other than:
- Weighed ingredients
- Peeled, not prepared fruit and vegetables
- Basic stocks
- Puff pastry, filo pastry
- Egg custards (not set) and batters
- Marinated meats or fish (where appropriate)
- Unless otherwise stated, competitors are required to supply all food and specialist equipment. Semi-finalists will be advised on all other equipment prior to the cook-off.
- Competitors should be aware that cook off for semi-finals will be in June and should consider seasonal changes accordingly.
Photography: seasonal variations will be allowed for the purposes of photographs accompanying competition entries.
Dates to note:
Closing date for receipt of preliminary entries:
- Friday 3rd April 2020
Announcement of the semi-finalists:
- Friday 15th May 2020
- Tuesday 15th June 2020, Sheffield College, Sheffield
- Tuesday 22nd June 2020, Westminster Kingsway College, London
Finalist Mentor Day:
- 7th September, London based venue
Grand Final and Awards:
Tuesday 29th September 2020 at The Restaurant Show, Olympia, London.